Saturday, February 18, 2006

Reading List

For years I read only nonfiction (ok, and a lot of sci-fi). Post barzam (last july), I had had it with reading law, and with reality in general. So I started reading whatever struck my fancy. I also sorta wanted to go backwards, and do the 19th century novel thing, (but I also tossed in some sci-fi, because it's what i love) Here's what I've read since the zam.

Speaker for the Dead
Xenocide
Children of the Mind
(those 3 are books 2,3,4 of the Ender series by Orson Scott Card)
Martin Chuzzelwit by Charles Dickens
The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin
The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot
Middlemarch by George Eliot
Nanon by George Sand
Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick
The Aeneid by Virgil
Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane
Break, Blow, Burn, poetry by various, poetry crit by Camille Paglia
Moby Dick (in progress) by Herman Melville
Time out of Joint (in progress) by Philip K. Dick

When I get ambitious, I may review some of them. But then again, I'm no book reviewer, and usually just say things like, "it's good, you should read it." I have to say I was surprised at how easy to read both the Dickens book and the George Eliot books were, I guess I only hate modern fiction. (heheh).

You may notice that the sci fi I've been on recently is more of the philosophical kind than the "hard" sci fi kind. As a die hard Larry Niven fan, I have read my share of hard sci fi too, and I'll always love it when it's done well (as Niven does). And as far as cyberpunk goes, I burned out on it. I mean after Count Zero and Neuromancer, Gibson kinda lost it, and I'm out of the loop with respect to what other cyberpunkians like Bruce Sterling are doing. I mean, I'll always have a soft spot for cyberpunk, just like I have a soft spot for the Clash and the Sex Pistols, because that was my era.

On another note entirely, I recently (ok ok, it was during law school), read an interesting compilation called Alien Sex. It was sci fi erotica. Except it was way more sci fi than erotic. Some of the stories weren't great, but some were amazing, especially if you like dark. (Again, not erotic amazing...lest we get your hopes up so to speak). My point is, it wasn't a good idea gone wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home