Sunday, February 12, 2006

miscellania

It is snowing like the bejeezus. And I have nothing really scintillating to say. Has this stopped me before, you ask? No it has not. Therefore, we forge on ahead to bring my 2.5 readers news they can use.

Yesterday I got my hair straightened again. I go here. Straightening my hair involves a long, and arduous process called "thermal reconditioning," which means they put on a chemical, then spend about 3 hours flattening 1/4 inch sections of your hair with an iron, tug tug, hisss hiss all over your head. I played go and minesweeper on my zaurus until they started pulling my head back at which time I forced myself to make some conversation. Fortunately, this was an abortive attempt because the guy who was working on my hair the most didn't speak english, and I don't speak much spanish.

At that point, a kid, a 10 yr old girl, asked the owner of the salon (it's a small, kinda family place) where the tallest building in teh world was. I (ms.nerdy know it all) piped up "In Singapore". Now i have to check my facts. Turns out that as usual, ms nerdy know it all is dead wrong.) here's the scoop. Also, according to this site, it depends on who measures.
However, note that, in none of these sites, is the word "Singapore" mentioned. Ah well.

At any rate, the kid & i began a conversation about, of all things, the Taj Mahal and birthdays.



She wanted to go to the Taj Mahal and I heartily concurred. She also wanted to visit the empire state building and disney world. Now I've been to the empire state building, in fact, i worked at a temp job there for quite some time (pre 911), so I have perhaps less appreciation for the deco skyscraper than I should. And let's not even get started that now the ESB reminds me too much of the WTC, which makes it all a bit sad. Human striving for the sky and all that. Money and Hubris, burnt up in one disgustingly low-tech, almost pedestrian act. Note that I didn't say "pathetic" at all, I said "sad." and that's just what I mean.

Anyway, disney world is less controversial. I have NO desire to go there, but when I was 10, I LOVED Six Flags over Texas. So i can understand the sentiment.

Apres the ironing of the hair, comes the neutralizing of the hair. One sits with goo running over ones head for about 20 minutes. since hair is in face, there is no zaurus action possible.

Then, the blow job (heheh, sorry, of COURSE I meant blow dry. Just checking the site monitor...) the blow dry, and the credit card pulled out and pinched til it cries out in pain, the tipping, and the leaving with pink and pearly products packaged in a glossy bag o' beauty.

I like the salon, which means that I can tolerate it. (See "Shopping with Bloggrilla") below. It's small, run by a very relaxed (no pun intended, heh), Puerto Rican guy and his 19 yr old daughter. Seems like the stylists are mostly hispanic, the manicure/masseur types mostly slavic, and there's a chick from Staten Island complete with SI accent to keep it local. This is not to say that the place is inexpensive OOOOOH no. And they do a booming biz. The reason? The guy is REALLY GOOD at what he does. I'm a case in point. Someday, when less camera shy, I'll post before and after pix. You would not know today that I ever in my life had one curly strand. No, I am now a blond asian. Minus the epicanthic folds...

I think it is time for breakfast. The snow keeps falling. Since you can't sweat or get your hair wet for 2 days after straightening, I cannot run today. Which is, in some sense a blessing, because although I have run in blizzards, and liked it, that was in Chicago where it's flat and wide and you don't run the risk of running into things or getting run over. So i will not be trotting about like the maniac I am today.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not allowed to sweat for 2 days?

Shouldn't be too hard for you :)

Sun Feb 12, 10:15:00 AM EST  
Blogger abigail said...

your point being?

Sun Feb 12, 10:37:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, didn't the new gf muzzle you from communicating with the gorgeous sweaty Ironwoman?

Sun Feb 12, 11:30:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home