Saturday, January 06, 2007

o bother


Yes I know, I know, i already blew it (forgot to post last night). Well, really, lest ye wish to cast the first stone, how long did your new years resolution last?

At any rate, we saw Borat last night. It was pretty damned funny, but, i have to say, I laughed harder at Jackass 2, which made me almost wet my pants. In fact I want to BE johnny knoxville.

Guess my movie choices show what kind of brow I am/have (low, lower, lowest?). My brow ridges must be threatening my nostrils by now. I don't really know what high brow humor would be, or if we have it any more. I mean, Oscar Wilde? Isn't that more gay than high brow? Maybe gay humor is the only highbrow humor there is? Except that I am about 98% sure that the jackass guys swing each and every way there is to swing...

Actually, all this testosterone based humor (I also watched Richard Pryor, live on sunset strip last week, which remains one of my faves. the cheetah bit alone is worth the stained bedsheets), has raised a question in that foggy area north of my overactive mandibles. Women can be funny, we know this. But, the serious low brow, wet your pants, stain your drawers, effluvia inducing humor of jackass remains out of our reach. Why? I think it's because females aren't generic enough. Jackass is funny because of what they do to their bodies, and, thus, the body that is done to, has to be generic enough to evoke humor rather than horror or vulnerability or lust. Really. if you think of women doing what johnny knoxville does, it just isn't funny. Because if she's pretty, you get distracted by that, and if she's not, you don't give a fuck. It's the way the world is. And, women probably wouldn't do it anyway, because the returns for us are not what they are for men, i.e., we can't make you laugh and make each other laugh and make millions of bucks doing it.

there are women who will mutter something essentialist about biology and women's superior intelligence, etc. very well. But, I for one think there is something completely euphoria-inducing about what the jackass guys do, and I'm not kidding either. If you take all your demons and make them physical, and then survive them, it must make you high as a kite. Keep in mind where I'm coming from with this. I am someone who has fallen down mountains, been shot, jumped hurdles while drinking tequila (with disastrous effect), been beaten up, and, more damaging than all of the above, had a semi-successful dance career. Thus, I must have some need to put myself through hell in pursuit of something (or in avoiding something) In my old age my body has become a source of fear for me, rather than a source of mastery. Is it any wonder I'm attracted to the bold and audacious misuse of said body by the jackasses? While women can DO wild stuff, we can't make you laugh doing it, we can only terrify, horrify or disgust you (not in a funny way, either). And THAT is kinda sucky. Because you need the whole thing. if it's just about doing it, that's not enough. The laughter has to be there too.

This is not making sense, because it's a blog, and therefore is a place for me to put half-baked ideas out there for all 4.5 of you to read. So i'm not fully fleshing this out, pun indeed intended.

At any rate, no, you won't be seeing me blindfolded in a bull ring anytime soon. at least i don't think so...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home