Tuesday, May 16, 2006

I'm a jeepster for your love

today i felt so good all day that i can't even believe that i have the big C. In fact, this may be a relatively cancer-free post.

I was downloading some music yesterday and came across T.Rex's "get it on, bang a gong." Now I was a wee thing when I first heard that song (which tells u that I'm old), and, to quote another old rocker (lou reed) "my life was changed by rock and roll."

Well, perhaps my life wasn't changed, but I loved the song immediately. Unfortunately, it must not have been top 40 or perhaps it was plunging from high rotation or something, because i didn't hear it again until years later. I mean, perhaps decades. And the trouble was, I couldn't understand the words the first time i heard it, so there was no way i could find out what it was. (It was also hard to find things out in those days. I am continuously amazed by the fact that I didn't have a computer until I was in my 20s and no net until...well you can guess when).

So. flash forward. the next time I heard that song was at a loft party in williamsburg (when it was still cheap). I met a man at that party who later became a boyfriend, although not a very good one. At any rate, a friend and I were the manhattanites in the kitchen, smoking cigarettes and attempting to charm the art school dropouts, when someone played that song and I lost all vestige of sophistication. I grabbed my friend, forgot about boys and went to dance to the song. That moment of elation got me saddled with a bad two year relationship and my life shifted again.

fast forward again to now. Now some slicked up version of that song is on a TV commercial featuring some women walking around in flouncy dresses and slow motion, probably trying to charm some B-school dropouts.

At any rate, i downloaded it.

So, why is this blog titled "i'm a jeepster for your love?" I dunno. I don't think I intended to write about bang a gong. But, it's another good one from TRex, so there you have it.

cancer-free posting (lest you forgot)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home