Monday, May 15, 2006

doom and gloom







I have been told I should be blogging about the current situation in my life, but I've been loathe to do it, because 1. it's mind bogglingly awful (for me anyway) 2. my tendency with health issues is to go underground like a wild animal to nurse my wounds; 3. I've kept this blog deliberately light, because, hey, it's more fun for me to blog about random happenings and cool science news than it is to reveal the cracks and dark underbelly of my real life; 4. I have trust issues and hate to reveal weakness; 5. It scares me to talk about it.

Having said all that, here's the windup....
and here's the pitch: I have cancer. Just diagnosed. Won't tell you where yet, perhaps I could do a guessing game to keep things fun. Guess where the cancer is? Peekaboo! I didn't see you! you snuck up on me you little devil you. Now we'll see who's boss...

At any rate, I've kinda kept it secret because people get weird around cancer. Suddenly they look at you as if you have those little x's in your eyes like in the cartoons. Or they act as if merely by getting cancer you dropped 100 IQ points. However, there are perks. The sympathy card is EASILY played. As is the "opt out" card. I can now, without fear of seeming antisocial, opt out of ANY social event I want to. Also, of course i have a built in excuse for being a. cranky, b. tired, c. completely incompetent.

And, even tho I'm having surgery on friday, I'm still running and/or doing yoga every fcking day, and plan to all thru chemo and whatever other treatment it takes to get this thing outta me.

so it's not all horror and gloom. Mostly I try not to let myself go into the inevitable bad place. Mostly, I'm ok. mostly.

It's a good day when the waves aren't dark,
but instead, play at your feet,
like hungry kittens chasing your ankles.
Until something gathers on the left,
and leans in -- old, yellow, cracked.
Rusted hinges and broken engine
laying there, wind whining through.
And you wake up with a taste in your mouth
like waking from the dead.

2 Comments:

Blogger tollwaywarrior said...

Hey,
If I were a doctor, and not a lawyer, you'd be my favorite cancer patient. Let me know if there's anything I can do - like kick your tumor around like a soccer ball.
You realize, of course, that if cancer did drop your IQ by 100 points, you'd still be smarter than well, mere mortals?
E

Tue May 16, 11:41:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not too worried. You can't die yet, because you still haven't paid for all the pain and suffering you caused me. BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Also, you still have my frying pan.

Wed May 17, 10:29:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home