Monday, January 02, 2006

cold hard light of day

This is the week of The Big Job Interview. The interview for the job I want, that is. Also, let's face it, the ONLY job interview I've had in recent weeks (ok months. jeez.) Let's all keep fingies crossed that B gets her job and re-enters the world of viable humans who have reasons to live.

Speaking of reasons to live, and lest I wallow in more and greater melancholia, here are some of the big highlights of 2005. Lowlights (and lives) are excluded.

Jan. 2005: I join the YMCA even though I am not young, a man, christian, or an associate. No one seemed to care.

March 2005: I move from inwood to ossining, and in with the boyfriend. BF and I go to see LAURIE ANDERSON at BAM.

May 2005: I graduate law skool highly honorably. The boyfriend drags me to graduation. On the way we stop off at a B&B in Clearfield Pennsylvania, where I run on a great trail made from an old railroad (Clearfield to Grampion, PA).

July 2005: I sit for the NY bar. (ok not a highlight. But, like a massive zit before an important interview, it took over my mind.)

Aug. 2005: Ex-husband and I do a trap neuter return (TNR) on a feral cat colony in Staten Island. We trap 6 cats, have them spayed and neutered, take care of them, then release them back into the vacant lot behind ex's home. One that is too pregnant to trap gives birth to 4 kittens behind my ex-husband's toilet. I get my hair straightened.

Sept. 2005: The bf and I go to Paris and Bordeaux to visit friends. On our return, we are rewarded with KITTENS (links to follow). Two of them, from my fave SI feral colony. We again find ourselves buying massive amounts of cat litter and feathered rubber toys (for THEM. get your mind out of the gutter.).

Oct. 2005: I am informed that I have been elected into the Order of the Coif. Too late, I've already spent a fortune straightening my hair and am not about to don one of those curly white wigs.

Nov. 2005: I am informed that I passed the NY barzam. I try to tie one on to celebrate but am promptly floored for the better part of 10 days by some kind of bird flu. (i don't know if it was bird flu. Just said that because it was in the national zitgeist.) More TNR with a huge (30 cats) colony in Staten Island.

Dec. 2005: The bf and I go to see PATTI SMITH at BAM. I reluctantly enter my 7th month of unemployment. The ex-husb finds a girlfriend. (I wasn't aware he'd lost one.)

As I said, i've omitted the maudlin, sad, painful and depressional aspects of 2005 in the interests of not feeling any worse. The NY Times recently published an article saying that introspection was bad for you. In the interests of a better 2006, I hope to stop some of my quantum naval gazing, and go with my gut. (wait, isn't that contradictory?)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Order of the coif?! Does that entitle you to free hairdoos in the courhouse lobby B. parlor?

Mon Jan 02, 09:44:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home